I started participating in the Walk 3 years ago for a couple reasons:
1) I am the secretary/scheduler in the Diabetes Care department at St. Luke’s Hospital and our department is encouraged to participate;
2) I am a sucker for community service projects; and
3) I was and am still in the process of loosing weight, so I thought it would be a good way to get exercise – walking.
I started fund raising and the first night I received $120 in sponsorships! Well, if I can do $120 in one evening, let’s try for $500! A short time later, I met that goal, so let’s see if we can go higher. My first year, I raised over $1000 and was a member of the Cure Club! My goal is to continue to be a Cure Club Member and so far, I have been for all three years that I have participated.
Two of the greatest benefits of participating in the walk are:
1) meeting and seeing all the great people participating in the walk each year and
2) educating people on the wonderful organization that is working to Fight Diabetes!